1.) What does the tuition include?
- Admission and Enrollment: At Ho'omau Maui, an alternative therapy retreat for teen girls, we begin with a consultation with one of our counselors to get to know you and your daughter. Our lead therapist will speak to the parent/guardian and screen any behavioral, emotional, or mental challenges not appropriate for our setting. If this occurs, we will have an appropriate referral in place. Next, our lead therapist will conduct a personal interview and psychological assessments for treatment purposes and also as part of our Ho'omau Difference research study (please see below). Collaboration with your child's behavioral team is essential and includes phone contact with parents and referring professionals, physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, therapists, or school-based counselors. Once admitted, your daughter will receive a letter in the mail informing them of their acceptance into our program.
- Individualized Assessment and Treatment Plan: We proudly provide each guest a comprehensive, whole-person approach to their individualized treatment plan which includes addressing specific treatment areas from a psychological and academic/experiential perspective. This includes short and long-term goals and objectives as well as weekly aims for progress, to gauge their movement in cognitive, behavioral, emotional, spiritual (or individual growth) and team building areas for growth. Clinical treatment team meetings take place weekly to review and adjust plan actions and goals to best support ongoing growth and progress.
- Individual and Group Therapy: Individual therapy will take at least once per week at 50/min sessions. Group therapy takes place each day. Neurofeedback sessions, given consent by parents/caregivers will take place twice per week. *See Therapy & Neurofeedback page for more information.
- Wellness Services: We develop a comprehensive wellness plan for your daughter included in Individualized Treatment Plan.
- Weekly Photos: Families receive access to a weekly photo library with pictures of their young adult child engaged in various program components.
- Healthy Meals: We offer balanced, organic, whole-foods focused meals with a private chef onsite.
- Transportation: Ho'omau provides transportation to and from the airport by shuttle as well as transportation all over the island for activities.
- Onsite Parent Visits: Parents are encouraged, if they can, to come to Ho'omau Maui to see our grounds and drop off your daughter. If family therapy seems appropriate parents may return to Ho'omau Maui for their family session with a quick transition to leave campus for confidentiality purposes of other guests. For parents off island, family therapy may take place via Skype, and their daughter will be able to show their families the grounds upon arrival using Skype or another technology-to-face format.
- After Ho'omau Maui: We offer a year-round therapeutic and mentorship program online available to all of our participants post retreat. Personal growth doesn't stop when our summer retreat ends, for optimal growth, we offer an online support program with therapy and mentorship options. This includes ongoing collaboration with parents, educational consultants, home therapists, schools, residential programs, therapeutic boarding schools, and other professionals to support a healthy transition post Ho'omau Maui.
- Ho'omau Difference Research Study: Our Lead Therapist will be gathering data from our guests with proper consent from parents/guardians to conduct a study using questionnaires and inventories Pre-Ho'omau Maui Summer Program, Post- Ho'omau Maui Summer Program, and again one year later as a follow-up using the same inventories to measure any changes post summer program, and sustained gains one year later, using collateral information (from parents/caregivers). The findings of this study will be published on the Ho'omau Maui website and probable additional publications including magazines, articles, scientific or psychological journals.
2.) Are guests separated into group by age?
- Yes, the girls are separated for therapy sessions in rooms at the house by age and maturity. Physical adventures are usually as a whole group as most of our guests are complete beginners. Our goal is to create a supportive and comfortable environment where girls can challenge themselves and transform.